OMG, it’s been a whole month since my last update.
I have draft posts about all kinds of Good Stuffâ„¢, but none are quite publishable yet. So today I’m just going to point you at a few great resources I use all the time while doing my web development magic:
Before I start on the list proper, I’m going to assume you already know and love firebug, if not, go away and don’t come back till you’ve got it. I mean really, firebug has moved js development forward no end.
Cool (free) Tools That You Need:
- IETester – a program that bundles Internet Explorer 5.5, 6, 7 and 8 together so you can open each one in a new tab and test your website in multiple versions of MSIE.
- The Regex Coach – you type the target string, then type the regex. It highlights the matches as you edit the regex. This will save you hours.
- Xenu – a program that recursively checks a URL for broken links. This should really be the final stage before go-live of any project.
- SQLYog – like phpMyAdmin in an application, but faster and more robust. Does need the firewall opening up though. Nagware.
- Paint.NET – If MS Paint and Photoshop had a baby, paint.net would be it. The image editor of choice for those of us who “just want something a bit better than paint”.
Any “OMFG I can’t believe he missed that” additions? btw, does anyone have a good color picker – one that I can easily copy the current colour from? Because most of the time I have to just remember that it’s #FE38C4 or whatever. Being able to Ctrl-C directly would be nice.